Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, the first book in the series “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” is a fun and educational journey for most of the family. Although it is classified as a young adult novel, my husband and I (in our 30s) as well as our seven year old son thoroughly enjoyed it. This story tells of our young hero, Percy Jackson, who has ADHD and dyslexia and has never lasted more than one year at any school. He soon comes to find out that this is because his father is one of the Greek gods, who are still alive and well and producing half-blood children. If I were to tell much more, it would spoil the plot. I encourage you to read this humorous and exciting tale of friendship and learning to believe in oneself. There is some violence (mostly fighting monsters) but none of it was graphic; I would consider it a PG rating. I also enjoyed teaching my son about Greek mythology as we encountered different gods and monsters throughout the book. Submitted by Julia Beckham

No comments: